Borders Barmy Army 2011 Challenge
Over the past year all of us, in one way or another, have sadly been affected by Cancer. Its frightening to think that one in 3 people will suffer! It is because of this that the Borders Barmy Army are determined to raise money to help Macmillan Cancer Support, both nationally and at our local hospital Borders General Hospital.
Having had close friends and family helped by local Macmillan nurses, we are extremely keen to show them our gratitude for their hard work and raise funds for Macmillan Cancer Support and honour them by taking on this challenge.
We originally had entered a team of 5 to run the London Marathon 2011 for Macmillan Cancer Support but, because of injury, 3 of us had to pull out. It is because of this and the fact we want to keep raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support that we have extended this challenge to include the Loch Ness Marathon 2011 and the New York Marathon 2011.
Our fundraising has been going very well and we have had some great fundraising events so far :-
1) Sponsored Pantomime Horse Races at Kelso Races
2) Raffle sponsored by Grove Bedding Galashiels
3) Raffle Sponsored by Adam Purves Garages
4) BBA Online charity Auction
5) Sponsored Treadmill day @ Tesco, Galashiels
6) Sponsored Treadmill Day @ Morrisons, Hawick
7) Sponsored Treadmill day @ The Gyle Shopping Centre, Edinburgh
8) Sponsored Treadmill day @ St James Shopping Centre, Edinburgh
9) Sponsored Treadmill Day @ Ocean Terminal Edinburgh (Sun 21st Aug 2011)
Plus much More.
Steve and Mikey “The Salmon” Bertram completed the London Marathon in April. On 2nd October, Steve, Paul and Chris will take on the Loch Ness Marathon (El-Cap-I-Tan Steve’s second marathon of the year!). On the 6th November, Lee and Liam, the BBA twins, will take on the New York Marathon.